Nta temple. Ms. Assumption It is set in the historic center of the city, in Constitution Square, next to where settled since the fifteenth century Ermita de Sant Roc, in the suburb of the Vila de Dénia.
Built in the second third of the eighteenth century. Latin cross inscribed in a rectangle. It has a ship of four sections, covered by a barrel vault with lunettes and side chapels crowned with circular domes, linked together by wide steps, wide cruising with a dome orange on octagonal drum and presbytery of two sections flanked by two enclosures: a sacristy and the Chapel of the Communion.
In the main façade it presents two income: access to the temple and that of the Capella del Roser or Sant Roc. To one of the sides the tower-bell tower.
The main cover is arranged on a rectilinear imafronte topped with balls and pinnacles. It is baroque, but very measured. It is flanked by pilasters and tuscan contrapilastras on pedestals; over a entablamento with denticles and topped whole a edículo avenerado with two brackets. Four pinnacles adorn.
Interestingly, the avenerada hornacina, perhaps the XVI, with pediment on Doric pilasters and frieze with triglyphs and metopes, which is on the door of the Capella del Roser or Sant Roc. It must be incorporated into the facade from a previous building. Inside the temple, the elevation is ordered based composite fluted pilasters order, with capitals follow the same patterns. Above them runs an entablature with plain frieze, and cornice denticles that marks a highlight at the height of the pilaster.
Work began in 1734 and the temple was blessed on August 13 1756, moving the Blessed Sacrament the next day. Bell works were not concluded until 29 1766 July. The building suffered considerable damage during the War of Independence, which meant its reconstruction and blessing of the temple in August 1816. During the civil war in 1936, he lost a significant portion of its movable heritage.
The plant model, prevalent in many Valencian churches of the eighteenth century, is the exponent of classical twist that drove the "novatores" Valencians modeled on Roman churches in general and the Gesu of Vignola in particular. Additional measures related to Tosca gives in his architectural work. Interior finish -made to 1760- has large symmetrical rocallas mixed with cherub heads, surmounting the keys of the arches, tops adorn the lunettes and arches.
We know that at the time of blessing, in 1756, were placed several altarpieces of the castle church, including presbytery, of which we know only a table representing St. Pere, a work by Joan Reixac furniture heritage disappeared , highlighted the main altarpiece, around 1770, consisted of two bodies with attic.
By the writings of José Esteve Bonet. "The book of truth" know that this sculpture made whole altarpiece in 1771. Late eighteenth or early nineteenth frescoes are present in the spandrels of the dome and on the cruise. They represent the four Evangelists and the Fathers of the Western Church.
Text: A. Gisbert Santonja Sant Josep Lluch, 2008.
Photographs: Josep. A. Gisbert Santonja